The first information about Jesolo as touristic centre go back to the end of the 19th Century when the first bathing establishment was opened on the beach in front of Piazza Marconi. After the Great War the touristic activity grew quickly and villas, holiday camps and hotels were build. In 1937 there were in Jesolo 47 licences of rooms for rent, 24 public facilities and 4 season hotels.
Equilo, from the latin word equus=town of horses,and according to transcriptions also Equilio, Esquilio, Esulo, Lesulo, Jexollo and today Jesolo has its roots in the times of the Roman Empire as vicus (= village), on an island next to the mouth of the Piave: it was at the time one of the many places used by merchants in their journeys inside the lagoon, above all in winter, sheltered from winds (the Bora) and storms, on the way from Ravenna, port where the grain of the 9th Augustean Region called Aemilia was embarked, to the great town-fortress Aquileia, rampart of the Eastern Roman border.
Together with wars and invasions the region was hit by environmental disasters, provoked by the Piave which changed his course several times in the past. In the history of our region an important event was the flood of 589 two decades after the invasion of Longobards.
The Piave began slowly to modify the environmental balance of Jesolo and of other Islands, and with its frequent floods began a progressive silting up impossible to stop with the means of the time.The water expansion separating the islands from the mainland grew always smaller and created huge problems to the port activities of Jesolo, and easied the arrival of foreign people to the town.
After a couple of centuries of prosperity there came a decay.
Few people remained in Jesolo slowly abandoned by nobles, with their capitals and servants, who preferred to move to Rialto and Venice, new political and economic capital of the lagoons, and those who remained were unable to face the floods of the Piave.
Around the half of the 15th Century, the Serenissima was interested in developping the trade using the waterways in Friuli and began the works, lead by Liberal from Oderzo, in 1440 of escavation of a canal (no more existing), which had to join The Piave to the Revedoli, making it possible for crafts to sail from Venice to Caorle or Grado, without going out at sea.
Fame arrived for these lands together with the sad tragedy of the war. Chronicles and bulletins during the Great War reported after the defeat in Caporetto (October 24, 1917) the events happening in this lands; the name Cavazuccherina kept in anguish thousands of mothers and fathers of both fronts whose sons were fighting in flooded trenches where the malaria killed more than rifles.
The first information about Jesolo as touristic centre go back to the end of the 19th Century when the first bathing establishment was opened on the beach in front of Piazza Marconi.
After the Great War the touristic activity grew quickly and villas, holiday camps and hotels were build. In 1937 there were in Jesolo 47 licences of rooms for rent, 24 public facilities and 4 season hotels.